Created by Chef Rodney Bowers
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2 smashed bulbs of lemongrass
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
- 3 fresh Thai chilies
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 cardamom seeds pods, toasted
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup clarified butter or ghee
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Kg Yorkshire Valley Farms chicken legs (bone-in, skins removed)
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh blanched or frozen organic peas
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Puree the garlic, shallots, lemongrass, ginger, chilies, turmeric, cardamom and curry leaves in a blender. Add the tomatoes and pulse to form a paste.
- On medium heat in a large skillet add the clarified butter (or ghee) and curry paste; cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to perfume and caramelize.
- Add the onion and cinnamon stick; cook until transparent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken legs and sauté until slightly golden.
- Add the honey, soy sauce, coconut milk and chicken stock. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce the heat, cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30-40 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the peas and spinach and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and cilantro. Return chicken to curry and serve immediately over rice.