Crispy Flattened Chicken with Honey & RosemaryBy Ruth Gangbar
Prepare this easy recipe on a single sheet pan, making sure it’s not overcrowded and is assembled in one layer so the vegetables caramelize nicely…that’s flavor! Try other vegetable choices you prefer, like sliced sweet peppers, parboiled baby potatoes, or cubed squash. Tender vegetables like asparagus or mushrooms are great too, added in the second half of the cooking time so they don’t overcook.
- 1 Yorkshire Valley Farms Organic Whole Flattened Chicken
- 2 shallots or small yellow onions, peeled and halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup baby carrots (or 3 small carrots, chopped)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a medium sized sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, and place it skin side up on the lined sheet pan. Arrange the shallots, tomatoes, carrots and rosemary loosely around it. Drizzle the chicken and vegetables evenly with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan in the centre of the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F and turn all the vegetables. Drizzle chicken with honey and continue cooking for about another 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is browned and crispy. When fully cooked, the wing joints should loosen easily, the meat will reach 185 degrees F when measured in the thickest part with a thermometer.
- Serve with gravy, if desired.
TO MAKE GRAVY:
Remove the chicken and vegetables and place in a serving tray. Carefully pour the pan juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Make a slurry of 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed until smooth with 2 Tbsp orange juice, white wine or cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the boiling pan juices and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, or until thickened. Add 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Crispy Flattened Chicken with Roasted Garlic
Using a sharp knife, remove ¼ inch slice from the tops of 2 whole garlic heads to expose their cloves. Add the garlic heads, cut side down, to the sheet pan with the chicken and vegetables. Continue with above instructions. Serve the roasted garlic with the roasted chicken and vegetables, or try squeezing some softened garlic cloves out of their skins and into the prepared gravy, while whisking in the cornstarch mixture to thicken it.
Meet the chefRuth Gangbar
Ruth Gangbar is a food stylist, recipe writer, cook, and gardener with decades of styling work with food photographers under her belt for notable clients like LCBO Food and Drink and Cottage Life Magazines, Yorkshire Valley Farms, and Foodland Ontario. She bakes a mean pie and loves making preserves, with her popups as Ruth’s Canteen and off-grid cabin rentals. Like her photography, this green pesto is sure to please.
@ruthgangbar on Instagram
Photo credit: Christopher Gentile
Did you know...
According to Regeneration Canada, soils contain 2 to 3 times more carbon than the atmosphere, which is why we’re so passionate about applying organic regenerative practices that build healthy soils and support environmental stewardship.