Created by Chef Smita Chandra
Delicious, warming, healthy and loaded with cancer fighting spices and vegetables, this curry is perfect for a cold winter evening. Serve with warm naan.
- 1-1/2 lb Yorkshire Valley Farms organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 medium onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, halved
- 6 large whole canned plum tomatoes, lightly drained (reserve tomato liquid)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups packed finely diced assorted vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, red peppers, brown mushrooms, carrots
- 2 tbsp plain full fat yogurt, preferably Balkan style
- 1 cup liquid from canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1 hot green chili, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Combine next 10 ingredients in small bowl. Transfer half of spice mixture into bowl with chicken. Toss well to mix with chicken. Reserve remaining spice mixture.
- Mince onion, garlic and ginger together in food processor. Transfer to a bowl and puree tomatoes in food processor.
- Warm 2 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick skillet set over high heat. Add cumin seeds, finely diced onions and assorted vegetables. Sear for 5 minutes until they soften and brown lightly. Transfer to a bowl.
- Warm remaining 2 tbsp oil in same skillet over medium high heat. Add minced onion mixture, sauté for 3 minutes until onions are slightly softened. Add marinated chicken. Brown chicken for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, add pureed tomatoes and reserved spice mixture. Stir 2 minutes, then add yogurt, stirring all the while. Add reserved tomato liquid, mix gently. Cover and cook 2 minutes until sauce starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally. Fold in reserved seared vegetables, cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and fold in the chopped fresh coriander leaves, tomatoes, green chili and lemon juice.